Cuba Spring Break
After 4 years of wanting to travel to Cuba, it finally happened and fell into place. I booked my ticket through www.triplink.ca/, by taking an all-inclusive package. A 6 night trip, from Montreal to Varadero, from the 21st till the 27th of February, 2016. The package included: A roundtrip ticket (Montreal & Varadero), airport/hotel bus ride, 24/7 bar service including alcohol and a snack bar , a buffet service (3 times/day), and a double occupancy room.
To be on the safe side, i paid an extra fee for the ‘Platinum insurance’ in case of emergency. It covers trip cancellation, damaged luggages, and health accidents.
Grand Memories Hotel, Varadero (4.5 Star Hotel)
SunWing Travelling Agency
1225$CAD = 840$USD
I feel 5 days is too little, and 10 days is a lot, so 6 nights/7 days was a great number of days to spend. It was sunny, yet windy all 7 days, especially at night! The hotel was definitely not a 4.5 stars as it says it is, i felt it was close to a 2 for several reasons: First, it was nice and big but understaffed. Second, the rooms were okay, but the food was terrible. Furthermore, the buffet was horribly presented and the plates smelled because they were barely rinsed. The staff however was very friendly and made our stay an enjoyable one.
Things to do in Varadero:
- Visit Varadero Downtown at night. You can sit at a bar and enjoy some local bands or walk around and buy souvenirs. Recommended bar: The Beatles
- Relax at your hotel and sip your Piña Colada
- Rent a scooter for 32 Cuc (24 h) and discover Varadero and its hidden local spots. You’ll drive by the peninsula highway and find some hidden beaches
- Eat at Kiki’s Club
- Party at Mambo Club or Casa de la Mùsica Varadero
- You could also book excursions, like the Jeep Safari and Catamaran, but they’re relatively more expensive than other countries
Things to do in Havana :
A trip to Habana with Sunwing costs 69 Cuc per/person. After talking to a lifeguard at the hotel, he referred me to his cousin who owns a small tourism company. He offered to take my 4 friends and I to Habana (Roundtrip) for 140 Cuc, which is equivalent to 28Cuc per/person.
- While driving to Habana, we stopped over a bridge to try the most exquisite Pina Collada in the world. In addition, there was a live band playing cuban music.
- We then stopped in Habana for a cigar tour
- Later on, we had an amazing lunch at an authentic local cuban restaurant. It’s actually a house that operates as a restaurant during the day.
- We finally stopped at the Revolution Square and then walked around New and Old Havana. Old Havana was my favourite place in the trip. I liked its European architecture and narrow alleys that were filled with people, street art, restaurants, and cathedrals.
The trip takes around 1hr and 45 mins (One-way trip)