Business Etiquette in Dominican Republic
This article will help you:
• Understand the business environment of Dominican Republic
• Prepare and conduct successful negotiations
• Understand the importance of cultural intelligence
The information is beneficial for:
Exporters, importers, executives and international trade professionals
Diplomats and PR’s
Professors and business students
Today networking and personal contacts are a key factor in the business world, so business relationships highly depend on earning someone’s trust. By doing so you would expect to give as well as recieve favors from other business executives. In Dominican Republic, in-person meetings are considered very important since one would be able to analyze the person’s personality from the first impression and determine if there is potential in working with them.
Business Etiquette :
- Dominican’s might not be punctual, but it’s highly recommended for you to arrive ahead of time.
- When firmly shaking their hand use the following words to greet them:
“buenos dias”, “buenas noches”, or “buenas tardes”
- Office meetings are usually held in the morning and business lunches are often held in the afternoon in restaurants close to the company.
- It is important to have a conversation before you jump into business. Trust comes first, business comes later!
- Asking them about their personal life is not perceived wrong or offensive, so go for it!
As most of you know, Spanish is the official language although English is widely spoken. Therefore it is important to have documents printed in both languages.
Having business cards with you at all times is a must !
Those might seem like minimal details, but Domincans take them into consideration. It is important to show respect to the individual when he offers his business card by placing it in an organized manner in your wallet. It would tell a lot about someone’s business ethics and personality.
In terms of communicating with Dominicans, they are considered highly skilled and direct negotiators that drive hard bargains.
Customs & Family Values :
The family forms the basis of stability. Loyalty to the family comes before any other social relationship.
If invited to dinner at a Dominican’s home, it’s important to offer them a gift to show appreciation. You can offer them something that is related to your or their culture. A ‘pastelito’, which is their favoruite pastry, is a perfect example.
Dominicans pride themselves on their hospitality.When someone visits, Dominicans go out of their way to make guests feel welcome and comfortable. Houseguests are treated royally and Dominicans attempt to cater to their every desire.
Try to learn as much as possible about the country’s history and food so you can demonstrate interest in their culture. You should make compliments about the country’s beautiful places since they feel proud of their country’s exotic beauty and diversity.
Domincan’s are fashion conscious since they care a lot about the physical appearance. Make sure to pull off the right outfit for the right occasion. If it’s a business meeting then wear a business suit and if it’s for a different setting make sure it’s appropriate.
Ya sabes todo !
Now you know everything!
…It’s time to close a deal 😉