Some things make me anxious, but a job-interview is not one of them. My father used to comfort me by saying ‘what’s there to lose?‘ So when i go to an interview i go with good intentions.
After taking lots of workshops in personal economics and leadership as well as courses in communication and human resources, i have prepared a list of job interview tips.
- Print several copies of your cv and in different languages too !
- Clean your hands before walking in and give a firm handshake
- Don’t sit before the interviewer asks you to take a seat out of respect and smile when you have to
- Never be late to an interview, it’s the worst impression to give and they won’t take you seriously !
- Know exactly the tasks of the job you’re applying for
- Look clean and presentable ( A shower before an interview is highly recommended )
- Wear business formal attire to give a professional impression ( Unless the job you’re applying is in the arts field, then you’ll have to pull off your unique and creative style )
- Loosen up and engage in the interview as if it’s a conversation
- Be honest at all time and politely ask the employer to repeat the question in case you did not understand somthing
- Maintain eye contact and a good posture
- Be an active listener and never interrupt
- Have your phone on silent at all times and hide it in your purse or pocket to avoid distractions
- Have some tissue in your pocket
- Have a pen and a small notebook ready to take notes
- Take the time to think before answering a question and don’t react in case they ask absurd questions. They would be testing you in terms of how you react and how you justify yourself. Most of the time there is no ‘ right or wrong’ answer.
- Do your research on the company, find their weaknesses and strenthgs. It shows you’ve done your homework and that you genuinely are interested in the company
- Do a follow-up after 2-3 days, it gives a good impression. It gives you an edge compared to the rest of the candidates
Some typical interview questions :
-Why should we hire you?
-What’s your weakness & strength?
– What’s a negative quality you had at your previous job and how did you work on improving it?
– How can you add value to our company? Where do you think we can do better?
– How did you hear and what do you know about us?
– Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years?
– What other companies did you apply to? ( Always tell the truth !)
– Do you consider yourself a leader?
– Describe yourself in 3 words.
-Why did you quit your last job ?